|(click to enlarge)|
I have moved the updates of the races I've been to this year to their own page because this page was starting to get unmanagably big. You can find race results here, on the car news page. Make sure you check out the results from Interstate Dragways the last weekend we were there.This winter's projects (2001-2002):
Just a rebuild this winter. After two full seasons and around 400 passes, it was time for a good going over. I was just going to do the bearings, since ring seal appeared to be good, but my engine builder Jack Michula convinced me that this was probably a bad idea and that an engine of this caliber really needs to be checked out completely with a fresh hone and new rings. While it was apart I decided main studs would be a good idea, something I probably should have done two years ago. Good thing I did a complete teardown, magnafluxing the crank reveiled a hairline crack in the #1 main journal. After a new crank and some rebalancing, everything was back to new. The complete engine rebuild process can be viewed here, and the dyno session details for this year can be found here.Last winter's projects (2000-2001):
Last year, I noticed that I was having fuel supply problems when the fuel level in the stock tank dropped below 3/8 of a tank. So I decided to put in a fuel cell. The NHRA mandates that the fuel cell must be isolated from the passenger compartment, which presents a unique problem for us hatchback owners. There are really two solutions. One is to build or buy a bulkhead which sits vertically between the two side panels and seals against the hatchback glass. You can buy these from Wolfe Racecraft. The only problem I had with this solution is that you lose all your hatch space, and frankly, it doesn't look all that nice. On top of that, you have to bolt your fuel cell to that flimsy metal that makes up the spare tire well, and the bottom of the well isn't flat. The other solution is what I did. Here is my fuel cell box.Projects of winter 1999-2000:
I finally got the whole works together and running again. After more than 8 months, the car can finally move under it's own power again. I had the help of my wrenching buddy Troy to make the whole process of installing the engine a little easier. Anyway, here are some pictures of the engine dropped in the engine bay.
Yes! The waiting is finally over! Although you as the reader probably didn't feel the stress waiting for dyno day, let me tell you that it is a weight off my shoulders. For those of you that have never built your own engine, it's almost like being born. Read the whole story here, or click here for the graph and here for the dyno sheet. The final result: 503 HP at 6700 RPM.
I did some needed chassis mods this winter, and here are some pictures of the work I did. Click here for pictures of the torque box reenforcement work I did and click here for the S & W 8-point rollbar installation details. I also painted the engine bay while the motor was out. Other things I am working on are my battery relocation project, which will use a Moroso blue sealed battery box, a Moroso Heavy Duty cutoff switch, and a rear mounted solenoid to leave the main feed wire for the starter dead except when cranking.The engine:
||Back to Mike's home page!|